~On My Bookshelf~
Quibbles & Quotations:
- A Book of Ages: An Eccentric Miscellany of Great & Offbeat Moments in the Lives of the Famous & Infamous, Ages 1 to 100 ~ Eric Hanson
- Advice to Writers: A Compendium of Quotes, Anecdotes, and Writerly Wisdom from a Dazzling Array of Literary Lights ~ Jon Winokur
- Paper Lanterns: More Quotations from the Back Pages of The Sun ~ Sy Safransky, ed.
- Poisoned Pens: Literary Invective from Amis to Zola ~ Gary Dexter
Writers on Writing:
- 50 Years of EVENT Magazine: Collected Notes on Writing ~ Shashi Bhat, ed.
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life ~ Anne Lamott
- Daemon Voices: On Stories and Storytelling ~ Philip Pullman
- Finding the Words: Writers on Inspiration, Desire, War, Celebrity, Exile, and Breaking the Rules ~ Jared Bland, ed.
- Make-Believe Town: Essays and Remembrances ~ David Mamet
- Negotiating with the Dead: A Writer on Writing ~ Margaret Atwood
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft ~ Stephen King
- Resonance: Essays on the Craft and Love of Writing ~ Andrew Chesham & Laura Farina, eds.
- The True Secret of Writing: Connecting Life and Language ~ Natalie Goldberg
- Writing Life: Celebrated Canadian and International Authors on Writing and Life ~ Constance Rooke, ed.
Editors on Editing:
- Dreyer’s English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style ~ Benjamin Dreyer
- The Copyeditor’s Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications ~ Amy Einsohn
- The Forest for the Trees: An Editor’s Advice to Writers ~ Betsy Lerner
- The New Well-Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed ~ Karen Elizabeth Gordon
Creative Living aka Don’t Stop Believin’:
- A Year of Writing Dangerously: 365 Days of Inspiration & Encouragement ~ Barbara Abercrombie
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear ~ Elizabeth Gilbert
- Letters to a Young Writer ~ Colum McCann
- The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life ~ Julia Cameron
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within ~ Natalie Goldberg
For the Love of Language:
- Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen ~ Mary Norris
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves ~ Lynne Truss
- Four Letter Word: Original Love Letters ~ Joshua Knelman & Rosalind Porter, eds.
- Greek to Me: Adventures of the Comma Queen ~ Mary Norris
- Linguistics: Why It Matters ~ Geoffrey K. Pullum
- Meander, Spiral, Explode: Design and Pattern in Narrative ~ Jane Alison
- Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them ~ Francine Prose
- Spunk & Bite: A Writer’s Guide to Bold, Contemporary Style ~ Arthur Plotnik
- The Naïve and the Sentimental Novelist: Understanding What Happens When We Write and Read Novels ~ Orhan Pamuk
- The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person’s Guide to Writing in the 21st Century ~ Steven Pinker
- Why Read? ~ Mark Edmundson
- American Originality: Essays on Poetry ~ Louise Glück
- A Poetry Handbook: A Prose Guide to Understanding and Writing Poetry ~ Mary Oliver
- How a Poem Moves: A Field Guide for Readers of Poetry ~ Adam Sol
- How to Read Poetry Like a Professor: A Quippy and Sonorous Guide to Verse ~ Thomas C. Foster
- In Fine Form, 2nd Edition: A Contemporary Look at Canadian Form Poetry ~ Kate Braid & Sandy Shreve, eds.
- Ordinary Genius: A Guide for the Poet Within ~ Kim Addonizio
- The Poet’s Companion: A Guide to the Pleasures of Writing Poetry ~ Kim Addonizio & Dorianne Lux
- A Passion for Narrative: A Guide to Writing Fiction ~ Jack Hodgins
- The Art of Fiction: A Collection of Articles ~ David Lodge
- The Writer’s Boon Companion: Thirty Days Towards an Extraordinary Volume ~ Mel Anastasiou
Memoir & Nonfiction:
- Draft No. 4: On the Writing Process ~ John McPhee
- Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir ~ Natalie Goldberg
- Tell It Slant: Creating, Refining, and Publishing Creative Nonfiction ~ Brenda Miller & Suzanne Paola
- Telling True Stories: A Nonfiction Writer’s Guide ~ Mark Kramer & Wendy Call, eds.
~How to Haiku: Books, Journals, & Websites~
- Frogpond: The Journal of the Haiku Society of America ~ selected essays
- Graceguts ~ a website by Michael Dylan Welch
- Haiku: A Poet’s Guide ~ Lee Gurga
- Modern Haiku: An Independent Journal of Haiku and Haiku Studies ~ selected essays
- On Haiku ~ Hiroaki Sato
- Seeds from a Birch Tree: Writing Haiku and the Spiritual Journey ~ Clark Strand
- The Essential Haiku: Versions of Basho, Buson, and Issa ~ Robert Hass
- The Haiku Foundation
- The Monthly Tricycle Haiku Challenge
- tsuri-dōrō – a small journal of haiku and senryū ~ essays
- Writing and Enjoying Haiku: A Hands-on Guide ~ Jane Reichhold
- Writing Haiku: A Beginner’s Guide to Composing Japanese Poetry ~ Bruce Ross
~Encouragement for the Writing Life~
- Mortification: Writers’ Stories of Their Public Shame ~ Robin Robertson
- The New Yorker ~ selected essays
- ‘Why You Should Aim for 100 Rejections a Year‘ ~ Literary Hub
People travel to wonder at the height of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass themselves by without wondering.
~ Saint Augustine